Emergency Support

Get the Help You Need

Emergency Resources in Denver

A mandatory pre-requisite for growth and self-improvement is basic safety and security. If you are fundamentally not safe with the people around you, if you are not safe within yourself (thinking of harming yourself or are actively injuring yourself through addiction), if your children are not safe, or you do not have access to basic needs such as food and shelter, you must focus on your foundation of safety. Contact one of the emergency resources provided here for help.

Emergency Help

If you are experiencing a life threatening emergency, feel like you could injure yourself or someone else, or feel like you are loosing control of yourself, call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room. Law enforcement and medical professionals are frequently trained by mental health professionals to help you in a compassionate way if you are experiencing a personal crisis. They know how to get you linked up to ongoing, in-person support in your area. Do not be afraid to go to them for help! 

Emergency Support  

If you or a family member is having an emotional, family or substance abuse related crisis call Colorado Crisis Services (formerly Metro Crisis Services). They have a 24 hr hotline staffed by mental health professionals, walk-in crisis centers (statewide) and even respite centers where people can stay for a day or two as needed. They can also connect you to different kinds of immediate supports, depending on your current need. Their phone number is 844-493-TALK (8255) or find them online at coloradocrisisservices.org.  

Supportive Services

Another great resource is the United Way 2-1-1 Hotline: Available in 80% of communities in the US. If you dial 211 from any phone you will be connected to a united way representative who can connect with essential services in your area this include emergency shelter, food banks, childcare, and other support. 

Another large charitable organization that provides many types of supportive services including access to community resources, housing, legal support, food and nutrition, and medical and mental health services is Catholic Charities. Here is the link to the “find help”  page of their website. 


If you feel like you want to end your own life, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 for immediate, live support from a counselor trained to help you.

Domestic Violence

If you know, or suspect, that you are in an emotionally or physically abusive relationship:

In the Denver area, contact the Denver Safe House www.safehouse-denver.org, 303-318-9989 or the Colorado Coalition for Domestic Violence www.ccadv.org, 303-831-9632.

Outside of Denver, call 800−799−SAFE(7233) or go to: www.thehotline.org which provides a 24 hour-a-day hotline, Provides crisis intervention and referrals to local services and shelters for victims of partner or spousal abuse. English and Spanish speaking advocates are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Staffed by trained volunteers who are ready to connect people with emergency help in their own communities, including emergency services and shelters.

The staff can also provide information and referrals for a variety of non-emergency services, including counseling for adults and children, and assistance in reporting abuse. They have an extensive database of domestic violence treatment providers in all US states and territories. Many staff members speak languages besides English, and they have 24-hour access to translators for approximately 150 languages. For the hearing impaired, there is a TDD number. This is a great resource for anyone–man, woman or child–who is experiencing or has experienced domestic violence or abuse, or who suspects that someone they know is being abused.

Parenting Support

If you struggle with parenting and feel helpless, or at risk of becoming out of control with your children: 1-855- 4A PARENT (1-855-427-2736) or go to www.nationalparenthelpline.org to speak immediately with a trained advocate who can help you.

Child Abuse or Neglect

If you know or suspect that a child is being physcially or sexually abused, or neglected:

Call 800-4-A-CHILD (422.4453) or 800.2.A.CHILD (222.4453, TDD for hearing impaired) www.childhelp.org This organization provides multilingual crisis intervention and professional counseling on child abuse. Gives referrals to local social service groups offering counseling on child abuse. Operates 24 hours, seven days a week.

If you are a minor and need help call: National Youth Crisis Hotline: 800-442-HOPE (4673). This organization provides counseling and referrals to local drug treatment centers, shelters, and counseling services. Responds to youth dealing with pregnancy, molestation, suicide, and child abuse. Operates 24 hours, seven days a week.

If you are caring for a child who is struggling with the effects of past trauma you can find support here: National Child Traumatic Stress Network

Runaway/Exploited Children

Missing Children Network: 800-235-3535

Thursday's Child's National Youth Advocacy Hotline at 1 (800) USA KIDS

National Hotline for Missing and Exploited Children: 800-843-5678. This organization operates a hotline for reporting missing children and sightings of missing children and offers assistance to law enforcement agents. Hours of operation are 7:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

National Runaway Switchboard: 800-621-4000: Provides crisis intervention and travel assistance to runaways. Provides information and local referrals to adolescents and families. Gives referrals to shelters nationwide. Also relays messages to, or sets up conference calls with, parents at the request of the child. Operates 24 hours, seven days a week.

Child Find of America Hotline: 800-I-AM-LOST (426.5678): Looks for missing and abducted children. Operators available 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday. Voicemail on evenings and weekends with calls returned.

Confidential Runaway Hotline: 800-231-6946

Parent Abduction Hotline: 800-292-9688: Provides crisis mediation in parental abduction. Provides prevention information and referrals to local agencies. Operators available 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday. Voicemail on evenings and weekends with calls returned.

Sexual Assault

If you have been sexually assaulted: Call 800-656-4673 or go to:www.rainn.org

Drug and Alcohol Addiction

If you are struggling with drug or alcohol addiction here is a list of places where you can find help:

National Drug Information Treatment and Referral Hotline: 800-662-HELP (4357) Offers information, support, treatment options and referrals to local rehab centers for any drug or alcohol problem. Operates 24 hours, seven days a week.

National Cocaine Hotline: 800-COCAINE (262-2463) Offers information, crisis intervention, and referrals to local rehab centers for all types of drug dependency. Operates 24 hours, seven days a week.

  • Al-ateen: 800-352-9996
  • Alcohol Abuse and Crisis Intervention: 800-234-0246
  • Alcohol and Drug Abuse Helpline and Treatment: 800-234-0420
  • Alcohol Hotline Support & Information: 800-331-2900

Housing Support

Denver Rent and Utility Help: The City of Denver offers a Temporary Rental and Utility Assistance for Denver Residence who are facing a housing crisis or hardship to help prevent eviction or displacement. For more information, visit their website here: Denver Rent & Utility Help

Free or Extremely Low Cost Mental Health Services

There are non-profit organizations like community mental health centers — you almost certainly have one in your town — that offer extremely low cost, even free mental health services. They often take Medicaid and Medicare, and have caseworkers who can help you apply for grants and benefits.

Community mental health centers offer a higher level of care than you can find in a private practice setting (if you need it). You can often get psychiatric support (i.e., medication management), intensive outpatient services, crisis support, groups, vocational training and support, drug and alcohol treatment, and access to a broad network of social service programs including supplemental nutrition programs, financial assistance, subsidized housing programs, and access to community resources such as food pantries. 

Just Google “Community Mental Health Center in [name of your town]” to get information about the one closest to you. They will likely have an intake process: Call the main number, and the person who answers will be able to guide you through the next steps.

Finding Help Internationally

Because we work with people online all over the world, we do have people (perhaps you?) who reach out to us with a sincere interest and need for mental health services, but for whom working with Growing Self is not appropriate — either financially, or due to the level of care that you need and deserve. 

We understand that it can be challenging to connect to high quality mental health services in some countries, but they do exist.

One way to find them is to contact your local hospital or community medical clinic. They may have more information about non-profit organizations in your area who can help you. You may also consider contacting any large, reputable charitable organizations who are serving your community. UNICEF, Catholic Charities, and Doctors Without Borders often have mental health practitioners on their teams who may be able to help you. (Or get you pointed in the right direction.)


No matter what your circumstances are, your life is precious and important and there are people and organizations waiting to help you.  Even if you never become a client of Growing Self, we care about you and want to help you get connected to the services you need. We wish you all the best on your journey towards health and stability for yourself and your family — you deserve it.