What to Do If You Hate Your Job
What to Do If You Hate Your Job
At Growing Self, we work with career coaching clients in Denver career coaching and online career coaching looking to improve their overall happiness. And finding the right career is an essential part of that happiness journey. Do you struggle with “Sunday Evening Blues?” Do you snooze your alarm fifteen times to postpone the inevitable waking up to another day of stressful/boring/annoying work? Do you feel like you’re screwing up at your job? Do you struggle with office politics? Do you feel like you’re wasting your life? Are you wondering what to do if you hate your job?
If your answer is “yes” to any of these questions — you’re in luck! On this episode of The Love, Happiness and Success podcast we’re talking about what to do if you hate your job (or how to make necessary changes for the better).
In this Episode: What to do If You Hate Your Job…
- Figure out whether you can make changes with the job you have to make it better (or whether you need to quit and move on),
- Figure out what your true calling is,
- Use strategic tests and assignments to understand what type of career you’ll be most happy with,
- Manage on-the job stress, anxiety, and challenging work relationships,
- Make a practical plan to start a satisfying new career.
Listen & Subscribe to the Podcast
What to Do If You Hate Your Job
Free, Expert Advice — For You.
Subscribe To The Love, Happiness, and Success Podcast
- Deciding Whether to Stay or Quit
- Identify the issue. What’s making you debate quitting your job?
- Can you do anything to make your situation better? If you can, you might want to try doing that first.
- Managing On-The-Job Stress
- It is important to know what effects stress has on you.
- However, stress is not necessarily bad. For example, the stress you feel prior to a report is normal, and might actually help you do better.
- What you don’t want is chronic stress, because this will continually take a toll on your health.
- Dr. Kristi talks about what she does in stress management trainings.
- Finding Your True Calling
- Sometimes, you just aren’t fit for your job, or your company is not a good fit for you.
- If you’re stressed out all the time, it might be because you’ve lost all sense of fun in your job.
- Ideally, your job is one that doesn’t feel like a burden, but rather like play.
- Tests and Assessments
- Dr. Kristi mentions the Myers-Brigg personality test, and how this gives a good general picture of a person’s personality.
- These kinds of assessments can be useful in identifying your fit with the company, and possible reasons why you might not mesh well with some co-workers.
- Moving On to a New Career
- Sometimes, shifting careers is the answer.
- You must know what to do next, and how to proceed with it.
- Dr. Kristi has tailor-fit advice for every individual, depending on their situation and what they find would be problems in the future.
Dr. Lisa Marie Bobby is the founder and clinical director of Growing Self. She is a licensed psychologist, a licensed marriage and family therapist, and a board-certified coach, as well as the author of “Exaholics: Breaking Your Addiction to Your Ex Love,” and the host of The Love, Happiness & Success Podcast.
Ready to Grow?
Our experts know how to help you move forward, with clarity and confidence.
What Should I Do With My Life?
Figuring out what to do with your life can feel overwhelming, especially when you have lots of options. Here’s how to get clarity and direction…
Why “Holistic” Career Coaching?
“Holistic career counseling” takes all of your life goals into consideration when crafting your career path. Why this matters…
Choosing a career and getting a job is only the beginning. Professional development helps you continue to grow and thrive. Learn more…
What is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional intelligence can make or break a career (not to mention a marriage). Read “what is emotional intelligence” to learn why EI is so important on the job, and off — and how to develop it in yourself.
What is a Career Path?
Career pathing refers to the process of mapping out your professional trajectory, step by step, and into the future. Here’s how to make “career path planning” work for you…
Moving into a leadership role often requires an entirely different skill set than the one that led to your original success. Want to grow into a great leader? Learn about leadership coaching.
Choosing a Career
Deciding on a career is a major life decision that requires deep insight into yourself, in order to create a satisfying career in alignment with your passion and your values. Learn how to choose a career…
What is a Career Coach?
What does a career coach do? What to expect in career coaching? What are the different types of career coaches? All is revealed in, “What is a career coach?”
How to Find a Career Coach
Not all career coaches are the same in terms of their training, expertise, or capacity to help you in specific situations. Here’s what you need to know about finding the right career coach for you…
How Much Does a Career Coach Cost?
Great career counseling is priceless, but the cost of a career coach can range from free, to thousands, depending on your goals and the type of coach you choose. Learn about career coaching costs, right here.
Does Insurance Cover Coaching
Does insurance cover coaching? Is there such a thing as “coaching insurance?” Here’s what you need to know about health insurance and coaching…
Gift Career Coaching
You can support a loved one through their career exploration and professional growth work by gifting them career coaching with an expert career counselor. How to gift career coaching…
Career Coaching Services
We offer many career coaching services to support your career development including Denver career coaching, online career counseling, leadership coaching, emotional intelligence coaching, and more.
Resume Writing Services
While our specialty is in-depth career counseling for personal growth and professional development, we also offer resume writing services and interview coaching. Learn more…
If you’re looking for quick career advice about a specific situation, consider a one-time solution focused coaching session to get clarity and direction. Learn about “solution sessions.”
The Success Collection
Our career counselors are here for you. Browse The Success Collection for their best career advice in our blog and podcasts.
More Questions? Let’s Talk.
We’re available by phone, email, text and chat, and happy to answer any of your questions personally. Get in touch, anytime.
Start Career Coaching
Ready to begin career coaching with Growing Self? Schedule a free coaching consultation with the coach of your choice. Start here.