Maggie is a therapist and certified coach with Growing Self Counseling and Coaching. She specializes in career coaching and executive coaching, and loves helping people get clarity about their life’s purpose, and the skills and strategies to overcome obstacles and create a life — and career — they love.
Career Change Advice to Move You Forward
Finding a Career You Love
Have you been considering a career change? Sometimes, the first, hardest step is getting clear about what it is that you want to do. But even with that clarity, there can be other obstacles that need to be worked through before you can find a career that you love. Questions like:
- Should I go back to school?
- How will changing careers impact my family?
- What career is congruent with who I really am?
- What am I truly capable of?
- Should I take a leap, or should I make an incremental change?
- Should I just focus on improving the career I’m currently in?
How — Or If — To Change Careers
Today on this episode of the Love, Happiness and Success Podcast I have the great pleasure of speaking with one of Growing Self’s amazing career coaches: Maggie Graham. Maggie is a master career coach, an executive coach, and a life coach. [Check out Maggie’s article about how layoffs are like breakups, and how to deal with both]. Today she’s sharing her wisdom and experience to help you figure out if it’s time to make a career change, and if so, find your ideal career and transition into a job you love.
Expert Advice From a Master Career Coach
On today’s show, Maggie’s career advice includes:
- How to figure out if you’re having “escape fantasies” and if so, how to avoid making mistakes in your career.
- The myth of the perfect career, vs what a realistic “career experience” should be.
- Escape fantasies vs making slight shifts
- Differences around career changes between men and women
- The utility of taking a career assessment test, or career placement test
- How to use your dark emotions to illuminate your career truth
- How to manage career challenges unique to different stages of life
No matter if you’re a recent graduate looking to get clarity about what you want to do with your life, if you’re in an established career that you’re feeling dissatisfied and discouraged with, or if you’re getting back into the workforce after taking a break, or dealing with a layoff, you’ll definitely want to hear Maggie’s great career advice.
Here are a few of the career resources we discussed on today’s show:
- Designing Your Life, by Bill Burnett and Dave Evans
- Career Info and Career Assessment Test Options (self-assessment)
- If you’re dealing with career age discrimination…
We hope that our conversation and these resources help YOU create a career that you love.
All the best,
Maggie Graham, M.A., LPC, CPC & Lisa Marie Bobby, PhD, LMFT, BCC
Listen & Subscribe to the Podcast
Finding a Career You Love
Music Credits: Dolly Parton, “Mule Skinner Blues”