How to Make Long Distance Work
Do Long Distance Relationships Work?
Oh yes. In fact, long-distance relationships can have certain benefits over in-person relationships, and may very well be a wonderful experience for everyone involved. However, to have a successful long-distance relationship, you need to be mindful of a few key factors in order to help you both feel loved, secure and connected even as the miles keep you physically apart.
To talk all about how to make long distance relationships work, I’ve invited Brogan C., MS, LMFTC on this episode of the Love, Happiness and Success Podcast.
Brogan specializes in couples counselor and long-distance relationships and has extensive experience in providing long-distance couples counseling to couples around the world. Additionally, Brogan did her graduate research on factors that contribute to successful, satisfying long-distance relationships. She particularly focused on how to maintain the emotional and sexual connection in a long-distance relationship situation.
Long Distance Relationship Tips
Brogan and I talk about many things in this podcast including:
- Why long-distance couples can actually have strengths and advantages over other couples, especially when one or both partners are ambitious and career-focused.
- Some of the unique challenges that long-distance couples face and how to overcome them.
- What the most important factors in making long distance relationships work are, and how you can mindfully incorporate certain strategies to keep your connection strong.
- Strategies to use during the transitional period when you shift from a long distance relationship to living together (or nearby).
Listen to this episode of the Love, Happiness and Success Podcast, and learn how to make your long-distance relationship thrive.
Listen & Subscribe to the Podcast
How to Make Long Distance Work
Free, Expert Advice — For You.
Subscribe To The Love, Happiness, and Success Podcast
- Challenges of LDR
- One of the biggest challenges of LDRs is the lack of physical togetherness.
- Due to this lack of physical togetherness, couples might feel disconnected.
- Couples need to be creative in expressing their connection if they want to be in a LDR.
- Advantages and Disadvantages of LDR
- For Brogan, the distance helped her to focus on and finish her studies. Despite the distance, she knew she still had her partner to talk with when things got rough.
- You’re able to do your own things while still having one another.
- One disadvantage is that sometimes, especially if the distance is too far, it’s just impossible to visit.
- Another is that, because of the distance, you might feel insecure about your connection to your partner.
- The Five Love Languages
- Brogan suggests being aware of your partner’s and your own love language.
- The five love languages are a good guide for when you need to reaffirm your connection with one another.
- The five love languages can also be helpful in finding different ways to express your affection for your partner in a LDR.
- Transitioning from LDR to Living Together
- Once the LDR stage is over and you start to live together, you might think that it’s all happy and it ends there. It doesn’t.
- There will be another phase of transition and renegotiation of time and spaces between you and your partner.
- The most important thing is to remain open to communication and never work under assumptions.
Dr. Lisa Marie Bobby is the founder and clinical director of Growing Self. She is a licensed psychologist, a licensed marriage and family therapist, and a board-certified coach, as well as the author of “Exaholics: Breaking Your Addiction to Your Ex Love,” and the host of The Love, Happiness & Success Podcast.
Let’s Talk: Start With a Free Consultation
If you’re ready to grow, we’re here to help. Connect with us, and let us know your hopes and goals. We’ll follow up with recommendations, and will help you schedule a first, free consultation.