Release Your Stuff + Rediscover Yourself
DECLUTTER YOUR LIFE: Do you ever feel oppressed by all the stuff you're hanging on to? Is it hard to get organized, and stay organized? Do you feel like your life is crammed full of obligations, relationships, things — even a career — that no longer fits the person you've grown into?
Intentionally getting clear about who you are NOW, and where you want to go with your life can help you cut through all the clutter and develop an environment and a lifestyle that feels satisfying and congruent with the best parts of you.
How Decluttering Improves Your Life
Releasing things that no longer fit the person you've grown into helps you on so many levels. Not only is it much easier to get (and stay!) organized when you have fewer things in your life; the act of purging can help you re-evaluate what is most important to you and get increased clarity about your values. [More: How to Find Your Purpose in Life]
Every time you intentionally release something from your life, you are essentially asking yourself, “Is this object / relationship / commitment congruent with the person I am growing into?” If the answer is no, it gives you the confidence to let go of it, and consciously make space for what you DO want in your life.
Where to Start Decluttering
This is the perfect time of year to get organized and declutter. The back-to-school season naturally brings an energy of newness and regeneration. However, “declutter paralysis” is also a thing that can prevent you from decluttering your home. Many people feel genuinely overwhelmed at the prospect of decluttering their homes, and their lives. Part of this may be due to the actual work involved in going through everything, but often, decluttering feels so stressful because of the emotional attachments we have to objects and circumstances.
The trick to intentional decluttering is not actually hauling out all the stuff and sorting it into keep or release boxes. The key to decluttering and getting organized is internal: Sorting through your values, core beliefs and emotional attachments must come first. Then, the actual purging part is much easier because you know what to do.
Decluttering Podcast With a Decluttering Expert!
True, meaningful decluttering goes much deeper than just cleaning out a closet. Decluttering, and maintaining a values-based lifestyle is an exercise in personal clarity and evolution. To help YOU along your journey of renewal and growth I've invited decluttering expert Olivia Heine to join me on the latest episode of the Love, Happiness and Success Podcast.
If you're looking for some decluttering inspiration, you'll definitely want to listen to this episode. We're discussing:
- How decluttering your life can lead to emotional growth and healing
- How to get clarity about your self and your life goals, so that you know what to keep and what to let go of
- How to use the process of decluttering as a vehicle that can actually help you process unfinished emotional business from the past
- Why releasing physical possessions is often the first step in making positive changes in other parts of your life
- How to deal with tricky emotions (like guilt) that make it hard to let go of things
- How to declutter your life, your relationships, your career, and your time
- How the practice of decluttering helps you feel more confident and empowered
- How holding space in your life for the things that ARE important to you helps you create the life you want
- How to maintain an organized, selective lifestyle long-term
- And more!
So much good stuff to share with you. Olivia and I hope this discussion helps YOU get clear about who you are, what you want…. and what it's time to release!
All the best,
Listen & Subscribe to the Podcast
The Power of Decluttering
Music Credits: Josh Woodward, “Release”
Enjoy This Episode?
Please Rate, Review and Share The Love, Happiness & Success Podcast!
Dr. Lisa Marie Bobby is the founder and clinical director of Growing Self Counseling and Coaching. She's the author of “Exaholics: Breaking Your Addiction to Your Ex Love,” and the host of The Love, Happiness & Success Podcast.